BRUSH TO BEAUTY
You may have heard of dry brushing your skin before, but you may not know why it's so important and such a good thing to do.
Your skin is the largest organ of your body, which whilst an amazing fact, also involves some not so pretty details - like the fact that one-third of your body’s daily impurities are excreted through the skin. Yep, pretty gross... we're sorry. But that's why it's important to get on the dry brushing bandwagon!
Dry body brushing is basically a traditional natural health practice, which involves brushing over dry skin, followed by a bath or shower. The best thing about it is that it only takes five minutes out of your day, costs next to nothing, and helps your body inside as well as out!
There is literally an encyclopedia of dry body brushing benefits but some of them include:
· Removing dead layers of skin and other outer impurities
· Stimulates and increases blood circulation
· Helps release fatty deposits under your skin’s surface
· Assists the eliminative capacity of your body’s organs
· Rejuvenates cells
· Strengthens immune system
· Increases muscle tone
· Improves skin texture
· Helps prevent premature ageing
· Alleviates vein and lymph congestion to reduce cellulite appearance
· Assists with stimulation of sweat and oil glands, contributing to the restoration of moist, supple skin
Amazing how one little (and super inexpensive) beauty staple can do so much for you inside and out!!
But before you go running for that dry brush there are a few tips you should keep in mind to get the most out of this routine...
1. It’s best to dry brush first thing in the morning before you shower. Start with light pressure until you’re used to the sensation, then move on to firmer strokes.
2. Use a natural bristled brush or a loofah as a second choice. Avoid synthetic or nylon brushes or gloves as they’re too sharp and can damage the skin.
3. Start with the soles of your feet, use swift upward strokes and brush from the feet, up the legs, working towards your heart.
4. Once you’ve covered your lower body, move to your hands and work up your arms toward your heart in the same manner.
5. Using a long handle brush, brush your back next.
6. Lastly, work on your abdomen (moving in a clockwise direction to follow the movement of the colon), chest and neck. It’s best to avoid your face as most people’s facial skin is too sensitive.
7. Brush for about three-to-five minutes until your skin is rosy and slightly tingly.
8. Always shower after you dry brush to wash off the dead skin and impurities. Follow up with a moisturiser or body oil to lock in moisture and you're on way to gorgeously healthy, glowing skin.
Here are some of our favourite products for getting perfect, silky smooth skin…
Wooden Beauty Brush - DAVID JONES, $19.95
Body Detox Skin Brush – ELEMIS, $85.00
Cellulite Bristle Brush – MANICARE, $15.89
Marshmallow Body Cream – MOR, $34.36
Organic Coconut Body Milk – ECO BY SONYA, $34.95
Shea Beauty Oil – JERGENS, $10.99
Now go get your glow on!