CHICKPEA & VEGIE CURRY
From The Good Life
467 calories per serve
- 25g (1 oz/1/4 cup) flaked almonds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 brown onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite curry paste
- 400g (14oz) tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 400g (14 oz) tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large zucchini, sliced into 1 cm (3/8 inch) slices
- 60g (2 oz/1 cup) broccoli florets
- 270 ml (91/2 fl oz) tin coconut milk
- 140g (5 oz/3 cups) baby spinach leaves
- Small handful of fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 370g (13 oz/2 cups) basmati rice, to serve
- Yoghurt (optional), to serve
1. Heat a small frying pan over medium heat and toast the flaked almonds for a minute or two, shaking the pan around until they turn a golden-brown colour. Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl.
2. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and curry paste, stirring regularly for a few minutes. Stir in the tomatoes with a pinch of salt, and simmer until the sauce begins to thicken. Add 1/2 cup of cold water, the lime juice, chickpeas, zucchini and broccoli.
3. Cover the saucepan and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring regularly. When the vegetables have cooked through, add the coconut milk and stir again. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for another 5 minutes.
4. Add the spinach to the pan for the last few minutes of cooking. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper if required.
5. Remove from the heat and allow to stand for a few minutes. Scatter the almonds and coriander over the top and serve with the basmati rice and a dollop of yoghurt (if using).