Feed Your Family For Under $10
January 6th, 2013
Already blown your festive budget? Here are 3 delicious recipes, designed to cut back on the dollars but not on the taste!
Pine & Pesto Penne (serves 4)
- 1 packet penne pasta
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp Gourmet Garden Basil
- Lemon juice
- Finely grind pine nuts with grated parmesan cheese.
- Add olive oil, Gourmet Garden Basil and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Whizz until well combined.
- Cook pasta per packet instructions.
- Toss pesto mix through hot pasta. You can also add to salads or dips.
- Serve and enjoy!
Leek, Potato & Lemon Thyme Frittata (serves 4)
- 60g butter
- 2 leeks, white part only, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 8 sprigs lemon thyme, leaves picked
- 2 large desiree potatoes, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 40g (1/2 cup) finely grated parmesan
- 8 eggs
- Rocket (optional), to serve
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Melt half the butter in a 24cm ovenproof frying pan over medium heat.
- Add leeks and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until leeks are soft.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining butter in a large frying pan over medium–high heat.
- Add thyme and potatoes, and cook, turning, for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove potatoes and drain on paper towel. Add half the potatoes to the leek mixture and season.
- Place parsley, parmesan and eggs in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Pour egg mixture over leek mixture and stir gently to combine. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until frittata is firm but still slightly wobbly in the centre (it will continue to cook).
- Scatter with reserved potatoes and rocket, if using
Homemade Beef Burgers (serves 4)
- 560g Coles brand 3 star beef mince
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ brown onion
- Salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 round rolls
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 Bega natural cheese slices
- 190g middle bacon
- 8 lettuce leaves
- Cook bacon until crisp and place on paper towel.
- Heat tbsp of oil in heavy small sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion, salt and pepper and sauté until tender.
- Stir in minced garlic. Set aside. Mix cooled onions and garlic with mince, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper. Add egg. Divide mixture into 4 and place in 4-inch ring moulds.
- Preheat pan or barbecue for medium-high heat.
- Brush bread roll with butter. Grill, cut side down, cover and set aside.
- Grill patties until brown then turn, cook until medium-rare, or to your liking.
- To serve, place lettuce on bun then patties and cheese & bacon on top.
Serving suggestion: Add roasted tomatoes & your favourite sauce.
No comments posted so far.